Because I always have something to say.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

For lack of material...

Here is a sampling of what it is like to be in my head all the time.

We sent Teddy to preschool this year (two mornings a week, he loves it: his "best friend" is in the same class! It's a small class with very dynamic teachers, so we are SO happy with it). His "main" teacher sends an email out to all the parents at least once a week (every Friday: we get the layout of how the next week will go), sometimes more if she takes a photo of a particularly fun happening. So all the parents are copied on these emails, and that is the only way I know anyone's names (except for the parents of Teddy's "best friend". Obvi). Lately, I have been running into one of those parents with some regularity; maybe four times in the past two weeks. Her first name is rather ambiguously spelled, and I'm not sure if it contains an "s" or a "sh" sound. Because I've never heard anyone say it (plus she ended up "introducing" herself to me via text re: Teddy's birthday party RSVP), and I've never heard HER say her own name to anyone else, this has become supremely awkward (to me). So. Every time I've run into her, I've either resorted to saying "Oh, HEY! It's (your little friend from school's name)'s Mom!" if Teddy is with me. If I'm solo, it's the classic, "Heeeeeyyyy...you! Good to see you! How are you?"

And NOW, that I ran into her TWICE today in two different places, and I was (over)analyzing this conundrum I have with this lovely lady's first name, I realized: Teddy has been in school for twelve weeks. It is just NOT time to be all, "so, I didn't catch your name..." I guess she will be just "(little friend's mom)" or "Heeeeeyyyy...you!"for the foreseeable future. So, I guess...I'm staring down the barrel of probably never addressing this woman by name as long as I live. I hope she doesn't notice. (Another peek into what it's like to be me all the time: I would probably eventually* notice if someone was doing this to me. I know. I'm certifiable. But harmless.)

Maybe for my next blogger trick, I will talk about how I call Teddy's best friend his "best friend" WITH QUOTES, and expound on how what preschoolers say about their "best friend" when their "best friend" is not around is a huge reversal of how they actually TREAT their "best friend" when he is actually present. Tl;dr: Teddy is always talking about "Mah bes' fren', (name)" in private, but seems to go out of his way to antagonize said "bes' fren'" when they are together. It's the weirdest thing.

Whoops. Now what do I have to talk about?!

*It would probably take a couple of years, though. I would hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughtful conversations are my favorite kind. Comments are temporarily moderated, just until we get up and running. Thank you for your patience.