In an effort to get back here (and maybe back away from Facebook a little), I've started doing some scripture reading with a friend. The idea was to read every day, and post thoughts and reflections...every day. This is day three. Yeah. I've read every reading so far (well, not today's yet, but I will...and even update this post when I do!), but obviously this is my first post about it. To make up for my laxness, I will briefly review my thoughts on the last two readings.
The first day's reading was from Exodus, 22:16-24:18. Lots of rules and guidelines for living in there, but it was about halfway through that I was drawn to this: "Thou shalt not follow the multitude to do evil: neither shalt thou yield in judgement, to the opinion of the most part, to stray from the Truth." Exodus 23:2
This is so especially relevant in these times, at this moment. The attack on Christian conscience by the President and by the HHS Department, the recent bullying of the Susan G Komen Foundation by Planned Parenthood (over a paltry few hundreds of thousands of dollars), the cultural war that is being waged on the family...it can be so easy to just sit back and ignore what is happening...it is certainly easier than sticking ones neck out and speaking up in defense of religious freedom, against the travesty of abortion, for the integrity of the family. I spent the rest of Wednesday thinking about and praying for fortitude.
Day two: Exodus 25:1-28:43 Matt left on business yesterday, and I was despairing of ever getting our home in some semblance of order. Teddy's room was still a disaster from where we just dumped all the Christmas loot "to sort later", but instead of "later" happening, it just turned into a dumping ground for any and everything we didn't feel like doing "now", like folding laundry, unpacking suitcases from weekend trips, bringing the donation boxes to Goodwill...poor Teddy. He didn't use his room much anyway, but one evening he went in there and declared, "Dis woom is a MESS. Tan yew hep me, Maw-mee?!" So it was with some renewal of vigor and inspiration that I stumbled over the following verse, tucked amongst cubit measures and acacia wood for the Ark of the Covenant, the tabernacle, and cloth dye for the temple veils and garments: "And they will make a sanctuary, and I will dwell in the midst of them." Exodus 25:8
WELL. Talk about a come to Jesus moment. This home sure wasn't no sanctuary. How could I expect anything other than chaos and disorder if I'm not making a sanctuary for God? I spent the entire morning organizing and sorting. Teddy's room is now a delightful space for play and rest. Our kitchen flows with functionality. The family computer space is cleared of papers and junk mail, all ready for bill paying, record keeping and watching movies. My desk is organized and all set up for daily reading and posting. Everything is in its place, including Jesus in our lives. When Matt comes home, we will agree on where to put our "sanctuary" for prayer time. I am so hopeful for our future in this transition home, now that I've been led to see it as a space to welcome to Jesus.
I was thinking yesterday that our bedroom is the only room that hasn't been hit by the disorganization bug! It is my goal to have the whole house organized before we head out the door for our 2012 season. Life keeps getting in the way!
ReplyDeleteLove, love how God spoke to you through this. Love how your words are motivating me to getting my home in order.
Love you Erin. So thankful we are journeying through His Word together. God blesses!