So, I *have* been writing almost every day. But nothing makes it into the post list, and I'm not sure why. Well, I know why ONE didn't make it, and that is because as I was editing it for coherence, I realized that it would make a pretty great Christmas letter, and I didn't want to bore my three readers, who are also getting Christmas cards from me, so I canned it until, well, Christmas.
We've never had a big enough year to warrant a Christmas letter before. With the notable exception of 2008, our years have been largely uneventful, and even in the case of 2008, there is only so long you can go on about your new baby before people want to poke their eyeballs out with some mistletoe. Plus, I doubt very many people would have been all that interested in the birth story (remember that epicness, on the (now defunct) old blog? Yep. That was definitely not for the faint of heart/unsuspecting Christmas-card-recipient!). So, from 2004 until now, any "letter" we would have written to our various far flung favorites may have been a variation on this theme: "We moved again, since renting stinks and the place we were in was too small/noisy/gross/old/falling down. Matt still works at TWB and Erin found another time-passing job, and still no babies, and we had a lot of dinner parties again this year. MERRY CHRISTMAS." Yeah, not a whole lot to work with.
But now that big things are happening, more than one big thing, as in the case of the babytime, we're feeling...restless. As if a part of our lives that we've been pushing and pulling and heaving and shoving has FINALLY dislodged and is rolling forward much faster than we thought it would, and too much else is getting left behind. I think I thought we'd have a stronger faith community around us by now. I think I thought I'd have things more together in being a with-it parent by now (by "with-it", I mean fun and organized and educational as far as Teddy can see, not, like, hip and trendy and put together as far as everyone else can see. Although some level of put-together-ness would not be altogether unwelcome). I think that I thought we'd have found some sort of social niche by now. I guess I also thought I'd grow into this house and make it work somehow, but I feel like I've been at a loss with it for the past four years (seriously, every single room in the house makes me feel helpless, like, "well, what am I supposed to be doing in HERE?!" It's really discombobulating).
Anyway. Enough whining. Today is our eighth wedding anniversary, and I'm cleaning out the freezer for it! Pierogis, TJoe's veggie stir-fry, and Full of Life Flatbread's Cheese and Herb. Who says romance is dead?
I've also been pinning up a storm in preparation for our mini-move and for the holidays. So much to do, so little time...until next time, my lovelies!
So good to read posts from you again!
ReplyDelete